Features: offers 24x7 functioning, Parallel Sysplex support, real-time replication capability, SQL and XML access and other leading edge capabilities.
Historically, ADABAS was used in conjunction with Software AG's programming language NATURAL, so that many legacy applications (eg: Mainframe) that use ADABAS as a database on the back-end are also developed with NATURAL as well.
Best suited for very high volumes of data processing or in high transaction online analytical processing environments.
Proven to be very successful in providing efficient access to data and maintaining the integrity of the database. ADABAS is now widely used in applications that require very high volumes of data processing or in high transaction online analytical processing environments.
Inverted list database - content based indexing of records => quicker search but slower storage
- Files - major organizational unit (similar to ~tables)
- Records - content unit within the organizational unit (~rows)
- Fields - components of a content unit (~columns)
- No embedded SQL engine; popular external query mechanism ADASql
- Search facilities may use indexed fields or non indexed fields or both
- No implicit referential integritiy constraint => parent-child relations must be maintained by application code
- Supports two methods of denormalization: repeating groups in a record ("periodic groups"); and multiple value fields in a record ("multi-value fields")